Front of the house
By Lorri Mealey, About.com Guide
- Designing the Restaurant Dining Room
- Stocking the Front of the House
- Hiring for Front of the House
- Front of the House Customer Service
- Front of the House Promotions
Designing the Restaurant Dining Room
The front of the house of any restaurant should be carefully planned out, to balance ambiance with function. Restaurant seating, wait stations and waiting areas are just a few of the areas to think about when planning a restaurant dining room.
- All About Restaurant Dining Rooms
- Basics of Restaurant Design
- How to Choose Restaurant Seating
- Restaurant Video- How to Plan Dining Spaces
Stocking the Front of the House
The front of the house is the only area that customers see. It should reflect the theme or concept of your restaurant. It also needs to be designed efficiently, balancing ambience with all important seating capacity. Certain pieces of front of the house equipment are also important in running an efficient restaurant.
- Front of the House Equipment Catalogue
- Getting the Most out of Your POS System
- How to Set up a Restaurant Bar
Hiring for Front of the House
Though many think that waiting tables is easy, those of us who have worked in the business know differently. Not just anyone can work in a restaurant, especially in the front of the house. Restaurant staff that work the dining room and bar need be friendly, organized, and quick thinking.
- Basics of Staffing a Restaurant
- How to Hire a Bartender
- How to Prevent Employee Theft
- Job Description of a Restaurant Manager
Front of the House Customer Service
Without great customer service a restaurant doesn’t have a hope of succeeding. Train your front of the house staff to excel at customer service. When the inevitable complaint happens, be sure that your staff knows how to handle it.
Front of the House Promotions
There are many types of promotions and marketing you can do to bring in customers and keep your front of the house busy all year long.