The Bottom Line
If you are sitting down to draft your restaurant menu, this book is a must. It contains every food, drink, cooking term imaginable. It is especially helpful for writing up daily specials.
- Every cooking term under the sun is in this book.
- Herbst gives good background on many definitions.
- Great for finding new ways to describe menu items.
- Easy to read style.
- It doesn't have any photos or illustrations.
- Contains over 6000 definitions of food, drink and culinary terms.
- Written in a friendly, non-dictionary tone.
- Contains beverage and bartending terms as well.
Guide Review - Food Lover's Companion
Do you know the difference between an appetizer and an hors d'oeuvres? What makes a beverage a cocktail? What exactly is a bane Marie? The answers to all these questions, and a whole lot more can be found in the Food Lover's Companion by Sharon Tyler Herbst. The compendium of all things food related is perfect when you sit down to write your restaurant menu. Not only does it offer definitions of every type of food imaginable, it gives plenty of culinary terms ideal for incorporating into specials or prix fixe menus. This is a definite must have for any restaurant owneror chef.