1. Money
Lorri Mealey

Should Serverís be Required to Tip Out General Management?

By April 23, 2009

I was recently talking with a good friend who waits tables part time. She was venting because the waitstaff at the restaurant where she works is required to tip out the general manager. The GM often works the bar, so he is already making tips from the bar customers. While my friend has no problems tipping out staff who help her, like bartenders, hosts, and bussers, she did not feel it was fair for a salaried worker to take tips,especially when waitstaff in Maine make less than $4.00 an hour. What do you think? Should the waitstaff have to tip out general management, who are on salary? Share your thoughts at the Restauranting Forum.
Comments
April 23, 2009 at 8:09 pm
(1) gina says:

NO, I dont think management should get tipped out. I am in the same position wokring for a University Pub. The management staff should not get tipped out because they make more money than we do and they are getting tips from the patrons if they are also working the bar. They are essentially taking the bar tender job away from a bartender. The manageer should not accept tip outs, especially from servers, we already tip out the kitchen 4% of food sales and I have NO problem tipping out the bartender if they are in my same position, but management, No way! If management wants to be tipped out for bartending they should apply for a bartending job.

April 24, 2009 at 4:17 pm
(2) Bobby Fitzgerald says:

I have operated in eight states plus D.C. and in every one of those places that is illegal. A quick check with the states restaurant association will confirm.

April 28, 2009 at 10:28 pm
(3) Springs1 says:

“The GM often works the bar”

Since you said that, what the “GM” makes is MEANINGLESS to what’s FAIR. If the general manager is doing the bartender’s job, he’s(assuming this is a man) the bartender, so OF COURSE it’s fair.

It’s unfair that you look at the “SAME JOB” that is being done by the GM as to what he gets paid per hour. That doesn’t matter.

It’s kind of like at Starbuck’s, where you see tipping going on. Do you see a tip jar with money when you go in(if you do)? Do people care what these people make per hour(which over here about 4 yrs ago, it was $6.50/hr plus tips)?

Honestly, it doesn’t matter what you get paid per hour. It only matters if the SAME JOB is being done.

I worked at a donut shop about 10yrs ago. We had to split tips evenly with the other counter person or others(on the weekend I’d work with more people). Sometimes, the counter worker didn’t show up, so sometimes my boss or one of the kitchen staff workers worked the counter with me. I split the tips with my boss or the kitchen staff lady when they worked with me. It’s only fair. They did the SAME JOB, WHY NOT GET THE SAME PAY? They were serving customers, why shouldn’t they have been entitled to the tips since they WERE ACTUALLY HELPING SERVING THEM?

It doesn’t matter what you get paid.

gina
“The manageer should not accept tip outs, especially from servers, we already tip out the kitchen 4% of food sales and I have NO problem tipping out the bartender if they are in my same position, but management, No way!”

That’s because you are SELFISH!!! The manager should receive tip outs if they are doing the same exact job as the bartender. It’s only fair. They ARE a BARTENDER if they are serving customers, therefore, they should be treated the same exact way as a bartender. If you were a manager, wouldn’t YOU want more money if you could have it? Be honest now?

It’s only fair they get tipped out if they do the same job. Now, if they are just being a manager, NO WAY it would be fair. I am talking about that in this situation, the **MANAGER WORKS THE BAR***. If the manager works, the bartender, HE IS THE BARTENDER!! Same rules should apply for ANY bartender regardless of if he’s normally just the manager. It’s only fair. It’s unfair for him not to receive tip outs, because HE IS THE BARTENDER in this situation.

I had to share my tips with my boss at the donut shop. Did I care what he made per hour? He was doing the same job that my co-worker that wasn’t there would have done, therefore, the situation should be treated the same exact way to be FAIR. I shared my tips with the lady in the kitchen when she’d have to work the counter with me when workers didn’t show up or it got so busy that we needed her help.

What’s fair is fair and what isn’t, isn’t. You are selfish to say that the manager shouldn’t get tipped out just because he’s a manager. He wasn’t just being a manager. He was working the bar, therefore, should be treated as if he worked the bar. Now, if he only worked the bar an hour of the shift, the only an hour of the shift should he get tipped out of the sales for that hour. If he worked the entire shift as the bartender, then his tip out should be based on the entire shift. It’s only fair and none of this should be based on what someone makes an hour.

May 2, 2009 at 8:39 am
(4) Pat says:

I worked for a large truck stop chain and the restaurant GM was the best boss I ever had. He could operate every aspect of that business and would pitch in whenever or wherever needed. If he had to work a station in the restaurant because a staff member called off, he gladly did, so obviously the tips were his. If one of the waitstaff was overwhelmed and he waited on tables, he NEVER kept the tip. But, when he helped ME in that situation, I was more than glad to give him his rightly due, because without his help I would not have been able to keep up. To me it was working together as a team that counted and if the customer was happy, we were happy.

Quit focusing so much on the almighty dollar and focus more on customer service, in the long run repeat customers are what is going to keep you in a job.

June 30, 2009 at 2:53 am
(5) chris says:

It’s utterly ridiculous where I work.

We use to have to tip out 20% of the tips to management (I do room service)

However now, it’s 39%.

I don’t even know whether to vomit or laugh.

Oh, it’s a 5 star hotel also. Unreal.

September 29, 2009 at 10:04 am
(6) K Carrithers says:

I was a gm, i also bar tended when people called off or we got that unexpected rush, as a manager you have to do everything to make sure your restaurant runs smooth. Its your job, you get paid for that, to expect your employees to tip you out, share tips, so on so forth is absolutely ridiculous. Its not their fault that you the manager cannot staff correctly, and i have seen managers do this just to put some more money in their pocket.
Restaurant POS Solutions

October 29, 2010 at 6:50 am
(7) Jo says:

I own restaurants and the federal law and all states in the u.s.a have laws against salaried(managers) paid employees being tipped out by hourly employees. If ur in the restaurant business and you dont know this then you need a new career. Mangers are compensated by their salary, therefore requried to do whatever it takes to make the owner happy with the performance of that establishment.

November 29, 2010 at 12:15 am
(8) Peter says:

Jo, I do know that there has to be some laws governing this. Do you have any idea how i can find these laws? Tonight i worked a wedding party and our tip was 820 dollars between four servers after tip out we each made 100 dollars. Im completely outraged and i dont know where to begin finding a solution. i dont want to lose my job but I also want fairness. any ideas?

March 30, 2011 at 4:38 pm
(9) Gary says:

The question is,

Should servers, or anyone else for that matter, be required to give up the tips customers have freely chosen to give them?

Is there any reason on God’s green earth that a person who is given a tip should be required to share it when,

the customer gave no instructions that his tip should be shared with others, and,

when the customer gave no instructions as to what portion these others should receive?

The point I am making is, I believe no employee should be required to share his tips with other workers unless the customer specifically requests such sharing and explains what amount each should get.

The main problem with requiring waiters and others to share their tips is there is no way to substantiate how much should be shared. When employers are errantly allowed to require tip sharing, they are free to take any amount they want away from the person whom the customer chose to tip.

SO, my answer is a big NO………

What businesses are doing when they require tip sharing is they are spending the tips customers have given specific workers. We call that stealing in America, unless customers have consented to business owners spending their tips, which they haven’t..

March 30, 2011 at 4:40 pm
(10) Gary says:

The question is,

SO, my answer is a big NO………

What businesses are doing when they require tip sharing is they are spending the tips customers have given specific workers. We call that stealing in American unless customers have consented to business owners spending their tips, which they haven’t..

August 8, 2012 at 10:25 am
(11) Sam says:

I work at a casual dining restaurant where the owner cooks a few days a week (we only have one cook, waitress and dish washer per shift). She expects me to tip her out, is that right? I probably wouldn’t mind so much, but her attitude is usually very bad and she often causes me to get behind because she is grumbling about having to cook and refuses to accomodate simple customer requests (like a side of salsa for someone’s eggs). I was just wondering if it was even legal for her to accept a tip out from me, she doesn’t require it yet but she has mentioned requiring it if we didn’t tip her out.

May 13, 2013 at 2:21 am
(12) Wanda says:

I’m here to tell u … We have to tip out our manager , hostess , busser , 5% to bartenders … 18% to bartender if the customer transfer to the dining room .. I work at a steakhouse .. We pay 3% to using the credit card machine n which 90% of the customers use credit card to pay … What a joke .. The owners don’t care .. We have complained … Nothing happened … We make 2.13 hourly and at the end of the night we tip out 25% back to the business … We pay out everybody it seems but no one is paying the servers out … Go figure … This is a family owned business …. The law should help out servers …. By educating business owners who think they know it all and steal from there employees … Cause it’s not there money that is taken away but the servers …. I’m disgusted about all of it !!! So much for a rule book across the board for servers ….