1. The customer is always right. Always. The golden rule of business – the customer is always right. Even if you don’t agree with a customer’s complaint, how you handle it will determine if the customer comes back to your restaurant. Read more about restaurant customer service.
2. Restaurant job expectations should be clear to staff. From the wait staff to the house kitchen staff, each person needs to be the best at their job, in order for a restaurant managment to run smoothly. Read more about hiring restaurant staff.
3. Restaurants need advertising. A big part of restaurant management is advertising. Restaurant advertising has come a long way from newspaper ads and radio spots. Social networking offers a low to no cost way of promoting your restaurant. Read more about restaurant advertising on a budget.
4. Restaurant managment should watch cash flow closely.Cash flow is the amount of cash coming in versus the amount of cash going out of your business on a daily, weekly and monthly basis. If you don’t understand this basic concept of restaurant finances, you put yourself at great financial risk. Read more about restaurant cash flow.
5. There are many types of different restaurant promotions. Promotions can range from a nightly happy hour to prix fixe menus, to two-for-one dinner specials. Read more about restaurant promotions.
6. Restaurant catering can expand sales. Restaurants have a built in catering clientele in their customer base and have all the resources – food, equipment, staff- for catering large and small events. Read more about restaurant catering.
7. A daily business review can help you track restaurant sales. A daily business review report allows restaurant management to build a history of business. It can help analyze sales trends, payroll costs, customer counts and predict future sales. Read more about restaurant sales.
8. A POS system help restaurant management. Point Of Sale systems allow restaurant owners to track sales, cash flow, food inventory. This can greatly simplify day-to-day restaurant management, helping trim food cost and payroll, as well as track the popularity of menu item. Read more about POS systems.
9. A restaurant menu should be updated regularly. The price of food changes and the cost of running a business changes as well. Therefore it’s important that restaurant menus have prices that keep food cost low and profits high. Read more about pricing restaurant menus.
10. Small steps can save restaurants money. Switching to energy efficient light bulbs and low flow faucets are just two ways that restaurants can save money (and the environment). Read more about easy ways for restaurant managment to save money.